The purpose of this code of conduct is to create a safe, conducive environment for everyone to have a positive experience.
Deep Learning IndabaX South Africa (DLXSA) is committed to upholding the same Deep Learning Indaba values of ubuntu and the mission of promoting Africa participation and contribution to the advancements of AI by creating a safe space to learn, share and grow. As DLXSA, we will not tolerate any forms of harassment or discriminatory behaviour. This code of conduct is applicable to all attendees of the conference, this includes speakers, sponsors, participants, organisers and service providers.
- Treat everyone with respect. We ask everyone to respect everyone else’s time, level of understanding and background so that everyone can get the most out of the community. Absolutely no harassment, witch hunting, sexism, racism, or hate speech will be tolerated.
- Some of the topics we will be discussing can be heavily debated (e.g. “the ethics of AI”). As such, all discussions should be conducted in a civilised and respectful manner towards people whose opinions and beliefs may differ from your own. Be mindful that everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
- Please maintain inclusive and accepting language, showing empathy for others and their views, regardless of age, race, religion, physical characteristics, sexual orientation, gender identity, nationality (and any other uniquely defining traits of members in our community).
- The use of phrases such as “just joking/kidding” or “teasing” following unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated.
- No spam or self-promotion (server invites, advertisements, etc) without permission from a community leader.
- No NSFW or obscene content. This includes text, images, or links featuring nudity, sex, hard violence, or other graphically disturbing content.
- If you see something against the rules or something that makes you feel unsafe, let a community leader know. We want this to be a welcoming space!
This applies for all virtual and physical events
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and the other participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
Forms of harassment and discriminatory behavior include, but are not limited to:
- Sexual language and imagery,
- Sexist, racist, and exclusionary jokes, and acts that insult or belittle other participants in any way.
- Offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic status;
- Sexual images in public spaces;
- Deliberate intimidation;
- Stalking and following;
- Unwarranted photography or recording;
- Sustained disruption of event programming;
- Inappropriate and/or non-consensual physical contact;
- Unwelcome sexual attention;
- In any way, creating a sexualised environment.
Shared expectations for community leaders
- We are here to grow the community, not elevate ourselves above others.
- If someone is not pulling their weight, there will be a warning, group intervention, then eventually they will be removed from the team. No time (or acknowledgement) for slackers
- The IndabaX organising committee is not a soapie or a drama. This is an action-comedy!
Any violation(s) of this code of conduct will be addressed accordingly and at the discretion of DLXSA, this includes:
- written or verbal warning.
- an immediate and permanent expulsion from the conference without warning or registration fee refund.
- barring from future conference participation.
- report the violation to local authorities or law enforcement.
Reporting an Incident
Incidents can be reported in two ways.
Anonymous reporting Incidents can be reported anonymously by completing the DLXSA anonymous incident reporting form. This form is completely anonymous, hence no identification information is required or requested in the form. Note: The anonymous reports will be fully investigated and action will be taken to address the incident. However, follow-ups will not be done directly with the complaint.
Personal reporting A personal report can made by
- email to: email@example.com Subject: Incident Report
- directly contacting an Indaba organiser on site
This code of conduct was written by adapting content from the following sources:
- Deep learning indaba (http://www.deeplearningindaba.com/conduct.html)
- Geek Feminism Wiki (https://geekfeminismdotorg.wordpress.com/about/code-of-conduct/)
- Queer code (https://queer-code.org/coc)
- NERV (https://twitter.com/nerv_online)